Mountain Bike Skills Course (Fundementals)
- Cost: $45.000
- Duration 4.5 hours
- Optional guided ride after clinic 1.5-2 hours
This course is best for riders who:
Maybe you’re new to mountain biking, or perhaps you’re a little more experienced, but you’ve never been taught the fundamentals of riding off-road. Possibly you’ve tried some technical trails, but lacked confidence to ride obstacles that you would like to be able to ride.
Is this course best for me?
- You’re new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road for more than a year or so
- You may have may have tried dirt roads and maybe a few easy trails before.
- You can already ride a bike and understand the principles behind gear selection
- You can already ride comfortably on smooth trails
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least two hours comfortably
- You are over 16 years old (we do offer youth programs. Check web site for details)
Course outlineSafety (Equipment & Bike)
- Bike Set-up (Pre-ride checks)
- Body Position & Movement
- The Attack Position’
- Moving around on the bike in three dimensions
- Dynamic weight shift
- Braking (Stopping safely and effectively)
- Cornering (Cornering with speed and confidence)
- Trail Obstacles (riding trail obstacles)
- Climbing & Descending (Negotiating steep terrain)
- Pedaling (How to apply power)
- Trail Flow (“seeing or reading the trail)
What to expect from your training
Our mountain bike fundamentals coaching course will give you the core skills to get out on the trails to tackle technical trails with confidence and commitment.
Following training you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in confidence. You will understand how changes in your body position, footwork and where you are looking affect the way your bike moves on the trails. You will be able to tackle steeper terrain, corner with greater control and negotiate small obstacles with ease.
- 09:00-09:30Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-09:20Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:20-10:15 Warm-up and evaluation session
- 10:15-14:00Single-track skills coaching and practice
- 14:00-14:30Review and next steps
At the end of the session the group will receive
- Personalized Feedback
to brief you of your performance in the course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you’ve learned or need any other advice
More about the skills clinic
Our mountain bike clinics are taught by highly experience IMBA certified and trained instructors that use proven coaching techniques to help you get the most out of your riding.
We use a progressive approach to skills building to ensure that each new skill is perfected before we add the next level of complexity. Feedback is given on a group and individual basis for more effective analysis of your riding style.
So whether you’re interested in just keeping up with your friends, riding competitively or getting out for epic adventures, we have the skills to get you riding faster, safer and with more confidence.
Optional Afternoon Guided Ride: (After Skills Course)
For Riders who want to test their newly learned skills the trails we offer a ride at the end of the class. We will ride for 2 hours. We will stop and study specific obstacles and implement our tactics. This is a fun ride on varied technical terrain. The course is within five minutes of where we hold the skills clinic. Cost for this option is $12.000.
About the Instructor
Robert (Bob) Smith
International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) Certified Mountain Bike Coach
- 22 years mountain biking experience
- Has participated in over 160 cross-country and enduro races worldwide
- Multiple podium and medal finishes in USA national and international races
- Champion adventure racer
- Former Chairman of the Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association
- Has provided skills training and courses since 2008 worldwide
- First-aid certified